I have travelled to the grand old USA, marvelled at the Kennedy Space Centre, sat in the old space shuttle shells and done the wonderful Cape Canaveral tour. I still have my little NASA Astronaut on my desk! But I never thought that space travel would be a possibility in my lifetime. I don’t mean NASA space travel, I mean me as an average person, leisure holiday space travel. Well believe it or not, it is a reality thanks to Richard Branson’s total belief in the unbelievable, and his ultimate entrepreneurial spirit.
- The total flight time is up to 90 minutes from departure to return and passengers will experience up to 4 minutes of weightlessness.
- The peak altitude is 100km/68mi. The widely accepted space border is 100km/62mi.
- SpaceShipTwo carries 6 passengers and 2 pilots.
- Commercial operations will commence when the test flight program is complete, all necessary licences and approvals have been obtained and the system is as safe as possible.
- 45 minute climb to 50,000ft
- In less than 10 seconds SpaceShipTwo (SS2) is supersonic and in less than a minute is travelling vertically out of the atmosphere at just under Mach 4.